Thursday, April 3, 2014

Rose, Garden, Rock, Igloo


    H.D.’s (Hilda Doolittle) poem Garden is one which has such visual descriptions that I find myself easily being taken to this garden as I walk along the path and view these magnificent scenes. A statue of a rose greets me as I entire the path that winds through this garden, a path I picture has not been traveled in some time which contains some overgrowth. This statue is covered with moss and mold, making it possible for the author to scrape the color off the petals. The statue is thick and solid breaking it is almost impossible, just as breaking the large trees surrounding the statue by hand  is a task that none can accomplish. In this hot, humid day which is not helped by the massive trees locking the heat in the path I walk, just a breeze would be a wonderful retreat from this exhausting heat. The fruit is not even appetizing to me due to the heat suffocates me. I beg for the breeze to move the heat so that I can enjoy my walk.
            The descriptions of this garden is amazing. H.D. does a great job of drawing a picture in the imagination of the reader to make one feel as if they are experiencing this garden.

Matthew Sweeney does a good job using imagery in his poem The Igloo as well. This poem of a traveler finding a an igloo which contains a fire and some food uses just enough description to allow the reader to feel as if they are undergoing this experience for themselves, and he is able to achieve this without taking away from the story that is being told. Cold and hungry a man finds warmth and nourishment in an igloo in the middle of nowhere. The character does not question whom the igloo belongs to, but when you are desperate you do not really care.


No comments:

Post a Comment